Monday, April 25, 2011

Octopuses Garden

                Octopuses garden is most known as a song written by the Beatles. Octopuses Garden is also a coral reef located in the Bahamas, which the crew of Boundless had the opportunity to snorkel over. Know I am able to say that I have been to Octopuses garden. Of course, no one will believe me but I now have bragging rights. At first i did not fully understand the concept of the term " Octopuses Garden". But when you see for yourself the reason is clear. The coral is bright as the plants on land. The reef is filled with brilliant shades of red, purple, green, blue, and every color in between. Unfortunately  some of this and other coral reefs have been torn apart by humans touching them and their boats knocking against the coral. coral is as delicate as linen. Even the slightest touch will kill the polyps on the surface of the coral. Who would want to kill such a beautiful animal? While floating above the coral we had to be very careful, which was extremely difficult thanks to the strong current. My legs began to feel weak so I took a break. I then quickly jumped back in to further explore the vast breadth of this beautiful "garden".

Angel Fish
             When I jumped in for the second time, I started to dive more in order to more clearly see the fish and coral. I saw all different types of coral, like: brain coral, fire coral, fan coral which is a dazzling purple color, and much more. I also saw many types of fish i would only imagine in my mind. fish like: Turkey Fish, Angel Fish, Sergeant Majors, and many variations of tropical fish. I was so amazed, and once I believed I had seen what I wanted to see I headed back to the dinghy and I sat and let my legs get a rest from the fighting current. Captain Jeff went out lobster spearing once Mrs. Pollitt boarded the dinghy. Captain Jeff caught two lobster and this time Kristin was not so skiddish around the lobster. She even took a picture with it. We proceeded to motor back to the boat and devour both lobsters just as fast, if not faster than the one before. With our stomach full we slept awaking unto our last day. 

1 comment: