Monday, April 25, 2011

The Sunken Plane

              
                 This is the beautiful sight of our new adventures ( or at least part of it), Norman's Cay. To most this is the stereotypical look of an island. Really this string of islands has a dark, and mysteriously intriging history. About 50 years ago these islands were occupied by a very sneaky druglord and his helpers. This man's name was Carlos Later. Carlos Later flew various kinds of drugs from Mexico through the Bahamas and into the U.S.. Many years after the inception of this wildly illegal plan, Carlos's plan failed when his plane crashed into the water between two of the islands. The wildest part about it..... we got to snorkel inside it! This activity is like one you would see on movies I would have never thought that I would actually do it one day. The moment I spotted the sunken plane I was in my wetsuit faster than you can say neoprene. We anchored the boat in the vicinity of this enigmatic piece of history. Once we were fully stopped none of us hesitated to lower the dinghy and speed over to the plane. We stopped the dinghy and all of us splashed in at once. When you first look at the plane you see the cockpit open and laden with fish. Coral occupies every nook and crannie. One of the most popular species of coral, Fire Coral. This kind of coral stings you if you touch it. That wasn't the only surprise in the plane.

              Once I finished going around and through the plane, Elinor and I decided to head back to the dinghy. We were swimming and swimming until I halted because of a mysterious metal part of the plane seperated from the integral piece. I dove down to take a closer look (not to far due to my ear issues. I scrutinized it carefully and it just looked like an incredibly mis-shapen part of a propeller. Everything was calm and cool until Elinor and I both realized it had EYES!!!! We screamed and kicked away as fast as our bodies would let us. The screaming was not heard by everybody since the water muffled our voices. Once we caught sight of the dinghy we lifted our heads above the water and screamed "There is a stingray to the right of the plane". Mrs. Pollitt quickly grabbed her camera and jumped in. Elinor and I were so scared we squirmed onto the dinghy and panted until everybody else was ready to depart. This was such a movie moment aside from the panicked swimming away. This was enough excitement for one day. Hopefully more exciting moments lie ahead.

Stingray

1 comment:

  1. That's pretty cool that you saw a plane under water.

    ReplyDelete