Monday, April 25, 2011

Shopping

              Sadly, the dreaded day came upon us the last day. the itinerary consisted of sailing for six hours, shopping, and leaving. After our six hours of seeing nothing but ocean we arrived back at the starting place of our fantastic adventure. We anchored Boundless on the docks were we could successfully unload our things onto the dock and start our shopping spree. As soon as all of the bags were delivered safely onto the docks everyone except Captain Jeff went on our way to go shopping. For about a block we walked down the street then the heat started to hit us we were sweating so badly. Since we have been sheltered b y the cold water from the heat, we really haven't been hot for a while. We then stopped at the closest convenience store to grab a cold drink. the drinks were so cheap, only about a dollar for a soda! We quickly re hydrated ourselves and went on our way.

             We walked down the streets looking at the surprisingly high number of designer stores right next to the road. I have never been near such a large amount of designer stores in my life. Stores like: Cartier, Chanel, Coach, Gucci, and Swarovski were some some of the many choices available to you. After about 5 blocks of varying stores we arrived at our destination, So large you couldn't miss it, The Nassau Market. Aisles and  aisles full of varying products from pretty convincing knockoffs to wooden toys for children. These aisles were jam packed full of native Bahamians trying to sell their products. I knew what I was looking for, and I knew my boundaries money-wise. Captain Jeff had told us the art of bartering and I was definitely nervous, I felt like I would buckle in the heat of the moment. I followed Eleanor Lavin to see how it was done. Boy did she do it well, the women selling their items would gossip about her and call her the "Little Gangster". Finally my time had come I spotted the bag I wanted, time to barter!

            The lady wanted me to pay her $40 for this bag, That was a ridiculously high price to pay for the bag i wanted. My target price was set for $2, but i would settle for anywhere near $28. I started talking very sweetly and soon enough she offered $27, I had to go lower this art is intoxicating. She finally agreed on $25. I did it I mastered the art of bartering, time to practice some more. Since there was nothing else I wanted to buy I offered to barter for others. Elinor had already bought something from a certain woman and wanted something else, so I barter with the lady for a Chanel wallet. I did it again, was so proud of myself. by the end of the shopping trip Eleanor ended up buying three purses and a wallet. Then our shopping time was over and we had to leave to go to the airport to await our departure back to the U.S..


No comments:

Post a Comment